This week I have begun to teach small group reading. It is engaging and a fantastic learning experience working to help students reach individual goals. Within the whole classroom, the students are constantly reminded that their actions have natural consequences. One way the teachers work to keep the students on task with whole body listening and during activities is with Dojo. However, the teachers never take Dojo points away as they have expressed that studies show taking things away from students can contribute to a negative classroom environment and it is better for the students to deal with the natural consequences instead of the shame that comes from being called out with Dojo points being taken away. Students in the classroom all average around 600 Dojo points and work toward rewards such as reading to the class or having lunch with the teacher. Teaching continues to be a team effort, I have been included in weekly grade level meetings and discussions regarding planning. I will continue to take note of the whole class math instruction as next week I will take it over.
My focus continues with the implementation of Standard 4 - Learning Environment and Standard 5 – Instructional Delivery as I am teaching, Standard 6 (Reading, Writing, and Oral Communication) continues to be addressed in all lessons as reading, writing, and oral communication are integrated into every lesson. I continued to observe Standard 8 (Collaborative Relationships) and Standard 9 (Professionalism, Leadership, and Advocacy) through the daily professional behavior of both teachers. Throughout each day Standard 1 (Teaching Diverse Students, Standard), Standard 2 (Content Area and Pedagogical Knowledge), Standard 3 (Planning for Differentiated Instruction), and Standard 7 (Assessment) are addressed through the discussion of how grades are determined and how lessons are planned to ensure standards are being met. My beliefs about teaching or learning continued to remain the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment